Through a contact at home, I was introduced to a guy who lives in Santander (a town about 50 minutes west of Bilbao) and works in Bilbao, Igor. Igor and Gema were friends when Gema still lived in Spain, so she introduced us through Facebook. We sent a few messages back and forth, and were finally in "real" contact last Wednesday. He offered to pick me up and take me to go get coffee. We went into Bilbao and had coffee at a really old cafeteria (1904). It was so much, SO MUCH, different than Starbucks, or even what one would think in going to go get coffee here. There was a waitor, little coffee cups, and noise (again, Spain= louder than the States). It was such a neat atmosphere, and we got to sit and chat for awhile. Igor did live in Chicago for about three years, so he speaks English fluently, but he won't around me because we're in Spain and I need to practice my Spanish.
After coffee, we were able to walk around Bilbao for a few hours, and I got to see some different parts that I didn't before. By the end of the evening, it was established that he would be my tour and help me to experience Spain. So begins SPAINexperience2010TOUR (in the words of Igor)!
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment