I think I've said this before, but Spain is a loud culture, and that is taking some getting used to. The students are very, very, VERY talkative, and there a few who just never calm down. And I thought my fifth graders in Lapel were chatty... I guess they were just preparing me for what was ahead ;) The students are great, though, despite there chatting. They are all from native Spanish families, but all speak English just fine. The sound J makes doesn't really exist in Spanish, so I'm not Ms. Jessie to my students. More often I have students poking at me, pulling my arm, and calling me Ms. Yessie! They learn/speak more proper English here, so there are a few phrases and words that catch me off guard, but that is all part of the experience!
Just yesterday, the first day back after the weekend, Ms. Kate gave some of the students the opportunity to share what they did during the weekend, and some of their responses just blew me away. They included playing in golf tournaments, going horseback riding, going away to the mountains to ski, going away to Madrid for the weekend, and other things like that. It is becoming more and more evident to me that these students are from well-to-do families. They are very cultured. They all speak two languages fluently (Spanish and English), and many stay after school to take French. The second grade class is the first group to go through the Basque program; they receive Basque language a few times a week. To be that age and have those language opportunities... how awesome! One struggle at school is to keep them speaking in English, although part of me inside wants to speak with them in Spanish so that I can practice!
There are no classes on Friday because it is a Spanish holiday, not exactly sure what the holiday is, but I think it has to do with San Jaun? There are also no classes for students on Monday because of parent-teacher conferences. I am very anxious to see how these go and to get a little more background behind my students. After a four day week this week, a four (kind of) day next week, we will start our two week spring break. I'm not sure what I will have planned for the firs week, but the second week I have a plane ticket to go to Milan, Italy to spend a week with my best friend since forever, Lisa, who is studying there this semester. I can't wait. After that break, I will come back to school and be full-time teaching for two weeks. I will then transition things back to Kate the next, and my final, week. Holy Cow! Time sure is flying and I've only been gone for two weeks! I'm starting to realize why everyone told me 8 weeks wouldn't be long enough!

My classroom from the doorway- pretty small. Hopefully I'll get some more of the students soon
No comments:
Post a Comment