Guillermo's fiesta de cumple was today (birthday party), and Ana's family came over. I met her other sisters, a nephew, and her parents. They were all very nice and welcoming. Everyone came over around 1, and the eating started at about 2. First, the kids ate in the kitchen, and they had some kind of white fish. When they were done eating, they watched a movie en el salón de niños (the living room for the kids... yes, there is also one for the adults). We got the table ready for the adults to eat.
It was a feast! I will list all of the food items on the table (not that I ate them all): pinchos (finger sandwiches), the whitefish the kids had for lunch, mariscos (shellfish- they looked like the little snails/shells you pick off the side of a pier), camarones (shrimp- the big kind that still had eyeballs and the antennas), anchaos (anchovies), calamares en una salsa negra (calamari in a black sauce), jamon (ham), ensalada con atun (salad with tuna), pan (bread), y vino de la rioja (wine from La Rioja, a region famous for its wines). We ate and we ate and we ate. Correction, they ate and they ate and they ate. I did eat a little. I tried the whitefish, and I liked it. I had some jamon and didn't care for it too much. I had a shrimp, and I also tried the salsa that the calamari was in. I liked both of those. I passed on the rest. We finished and cleared the table. I thought we were done.
Wrong. New plates were brought out along with two big platters filled with cordero (lamb). This was the meat that was in the tub. There was also a plate filled with lettuce and vegetables. I tried a small piece of this, and it wasn't bad. They know that I don't like fish and were like, now you will like the meat we have! Lamb is not a meat I had eaten before, so today was definitely a learning experience. We cleaned these plates off of the table. I figured we must be done now.
Wrong. Dessert time. Three tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream was brought to the table along with chocolate cake and a french apple dessert that Ana made. My oh my do these people eat! I read that the north is famous for its food, and now I know that they weren't joking.
Lunch finished at about 3:30, and hour and a half after we started. Jon said this is typical, and maybe even a little short. It was such a fun experience, even though the food wasn't my favorite. There were a few cultural things I noticed. Bread? Just rip it off of the loaf and leave your piece on the table next to your plate. Also, you don't pass dishes around the table. People just stand up and/or reach across to get what they want. Jon kept trying to put more things on my plate for me. He was so funny, "Eat, eat, eat! Try it, try it, try it!" Estuve llena. I was full! (And ready for una siesta!)
Later in the afternoon, I got the opportunity to have a nice conversation (all in Spanish) with Tsuni, the nanny, and got to know her a little better. She is from Paraguay and has been living here in Spain for three years. I found out from her that she has two children of her own (11 and 7 years old), but has not seen them for three years because she has been working, earning money for her family. She gets to talk to them on the phone and on the internet sometimes, but can't afford to go back to visit them. She said it is difficult, but she is doing this so they will have a better future. "Tengo que pensar en mis niños." I was so amazed by this and by her. What love and dedication that is... It really made me realize how fortunate and blessed I have been in my life.
I am so lucky to have a great family all around me, supporting me and loving me in all that I do. I am so lucky to have had the opportunities that I have had with my traveling to Panama, the Dominican Republic, Alaska, and around the United States with my family. I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to go to a strong University, and I am so incredibly fortunate to be able to live in Spain for two months doing what I love- teaching. I am so lucky to serve a gracious God that has made all of this possible. Thank you to everyone who has supported me and loved me. I love you all.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW! What a day! Sounds like fun. And, Jessie, they are lucky to have you there for two months. I'm sure they are enjoying it as much as you are. Have a great week at school!
ReplyDeleteLove Mom :)
Hey Mrs. Rigby!! I did get your message the other day.(just an FYI)How was your first day at school? Tomorrow (Tuesday) I am going to help show Mrs. Shuck how to pst a comment.(She told me she didn't understand!) I wouldn't be able to even try lamb on the other hand I wouldn't want to either!Hope you have lots of fun!-Kaylee
ReplyDeleteJessie, I know that you will find this hard to believe but Kaylee had to show me how to repond to your blog. I am so excited for you. I can't wait to hear about your first week of school. I am thinking that you might have your own personal weight loss program with some of the foods they serve. Hopefully there is a McDonalds in town once in a while. I did receive you thank you note and the science tests. We function here with the pony express. I don't even mail letters in Lapel unless it matters not when it arrives. We survived ISTEP. However, only 5 students got the very first math problem correct. It wasn't thinking out of the box, it was thinking outside the plantet. The writing sample was a great success however. Five weeks until break, and it can't come soon enough. I really enjoy your blog,I look forward to reading it. Don't forget about pen pals??? Pam
ReplyDeleteHi Jessie - Sounds like you're having fun!
ReplyDeletecalamares en una salsa negra is good! I remember eating that.
ReplyDeleteJohn