I went to school yesterday afternoon (Thursday) with Ana to pick the children up from school. (It is about a 20-25 minute drive, but Ana goes every day so I will be able to ride with her to and from school!) I got to meet many teachers, although I don't really remember any of their names, but they were all so kind and welcoming. They had heard I was coming and were excited to meet me. The principal, Izaskun, was very, very nice and kept asking to make sure I was going alright. Then I met Kate, my collaborating teacher, and my third graders. The students were excited to see me and all rushed to give me hugs. I didn't stay long, and I think they were disappointed because they were wanting me to be there all day. Kate was extremely kind. I think she will be great to work with.
I decided that I would go to school today even though my first official day isn't until Monday. I'm still feeling kind of tired and jet lagged, but I figured I would go and ease into things. We left home at about 8:15, got to school at about 8:40, and school starts at 9. I went down to Kate's room got settled in. Kate is from England; she is very soft spoken, and I love her accent! The students all came in and were like, "Miss Jessie is here! Miss Jessie is here!" I got many more hugs throughout the day. Today was kind of overwhelming. Being in a new place with so many new faces and names to learn and a completely different culture... it kind of took it out of me. I enjoyed it though.
The students are very lively and bubbly, as Kate describes them. I would say that they are talkative and don't listen very well. Kate told me that this is part of the culture. It is just a loud culture so to ever expect complete silence is almost out of the question. This will be quite a change for me to adjust to. I don't want to lower my expectations too much, but it is extremely important to be mindful of their culture and routines. I definitely have my work cut out for me... Kate is just wonderful. She is so kind-hearted and constantly was making sure I was doing okay. We talked briefly about my teaching expectations and planning and things like that. She seems very flexible. Also, she gave me her mobile (say it in an English accent, its more fun that way!) number and said that I can call any time if I have questions. She also said that if things get too crazy here at the house, she will come get me and take me away for a little while. I may take her up on that!
On the way home from school, Ana took me past the sea, and I saw amazing houses along the coast. We just drove past, but I want to go back sometime, walk around, and take some pictures! I had a nice conversation with her on the way home. It was all in Spanish! She is realizing that I want to practice my Spanish so she isn't using her limited English. This is very helpful! I think we are starting to warm up to one another.
After school, I played on the patio and in the garden (driveway and yard) with Guillermo (Guille for short) and Gonzalo. We played a little futbol (aka soccer) y baloncesto (basketball). I think they enjoyed that. I did too!
I'm not really sure what this weekend has in store. Guille is celebrating his third birthday on Sunday. His ten 2-year old classmates (and siblings) are coming over for a birthday party tomorrow and then I think there is a family birthday party on Sunday... should be quite interesting! Also, I think Ana said that Guille goes for speech therapy in Bilbao every Saturday at 10, and they said they would show me around down town a little bit. I'm excited to get out and about!
I hope you are all doing well! Keep me updated on what is going on in your life! I want to hear!
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jessie,
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to hear that you made it safely to Spain and are getting settled. It sounds like everyone has made you feel welcome. I am looking forward to future updates.
Prof. B :-)
How are you? I'm very happy to hear that you got to spain safely. It sounds like everybody is very nice. You probaly know this but everybody has missed you since the second you walked out the door. In class it has been extremely different without you but,Mrs.Shuck has put your desk to good use!We all did quite well on ISTEP+ and are glad it's over for now anyway. (P.S. Sorry if there is any mistakes in the note!)-Kaylee
ReplyDelete-Kaylee!
ReplyDeleteSooo good to hear from you! I miss everyone as well! Things are so different here and I would love to go back to the comforts of your class, but I think this will be good for me. I'm glad to hear that you all did well on ISTEP+! I'm sure you all worked really hard and tried your best. I am looking forward to seeing you all in May! Keep in touch! (and don't worry about mistakes... this is all informal! I'm not grading you ;) haha)